Most accident lawyer websites have a guide about what to do when individuals are involved in motor vehicle accidents, but it seems that those who have been involved in slip and fall accidents have been pushed aside. Not anymore. In today’s blog post, our team at Grover Law Firm provides you with a guide on what to do when involved in a slip and fall accident and information on how a personal injury lawyer in Calgary can help you.
When the Accident Occurs
If you have read previous guides on what to do after a motor vehicle accident, then you may be surprised to find that the steps one must take after a slip and fall accident are very similar.
Here is a breakdown of what to do:
1. If you are able, use your phone to take pictures of the scene of the accident, ensuring that you show the surface conditions and location. While taking pictures may be the last thing you want to do, especially if you sustained serious injuries during your fall, these pictures will help your slip and fall accident lawyer make a case file for you. If your injuries are very serious, and you cannot take them at the time of your fall, try to come back later to get pictures or get a loved one to go to the scene and take photographs.
2. Save and take pictures of the footwear you were wearing during the time of your accident. The suitability of your footwear will always come up when trying to receive compensation, so this is important evidence.
3. Just like with a car accident, if anyone witnessed your fall, get their names and contact information, as well as the exact address of the location of your accident.
4. Tell the property manager about your fall so that they can take note of the incident. You should also get their name and contact information at this time.
5. Seek medical attention. Just like with a car accident, it is always important to get looked at by a physician after a slip and fall, as some injuries do not always show themselves right away.
6. Contact a personal injury lawyer near you. Slip and fall claims are often a point of contention with insurance companies, and you will need the expert advice of a slip and fall lawyer in Calgary to get adequate compensation.
With winter looming, and the harsh nature of ice and snow in Calgary, it is important to do everything you can to protect yourself. With the nature of the weather in Calgary, our streets can easily turn into skating rinks. Remember to wear suitable winter footwear in these icy conditions and take extra care when walking around the city. Avoid the pathways and edges of walkways where snow and ice have accumulated and frozen over, creating large patches of slippery ice.
It is also vital to remember what was discussed earlier, that insurance companies that protect property owners where individuals have slipped and fell are working harder than ever before to keep those individuals from getting the compensation they deserve. If you ever experience an injury, please do not hesitate to contact our team of experienced lawyers at Grover Law Firm. We are here to advocate for you.